Thursday, February 09, 2012

Temper Tantrums

Tucker is the king of temper tantrums.  He wants everything now!  If he doesn't get it when he wants it he has the melt down of all melt downs.  For example, if his dinner is not on the table waiting for him when he gets home, he explodes.  This is a little difficult to avoid when you have two working parents.  Ugh! I am so over it!

I Googled 17 months old and temper tantrums and found that this is a very common issue for toddlers at this age.  I guess I forgotten how Cooper went through this stage or maybe he wasn't this bad or maybe I had more patience back then - not sure which one is the correct answer.  One of the articles suggested I simply ignore the tantrum and he will learn that this does not get him what he wants.  This sounds a lot easier than I am sure it actually is.  They have not heard/seen Tucker scream, hold his breath, kick, throw his body on the floor like a wet rag, slap his big brother, or get destructive - yes this list could go on. 

So, tonight I am going to try it - ignore Tucker's tantrums, not pick him up every time he wants to be held or carried around.  I am sure I will be ready to pull my hair out by the end of the night or have a extra large glass of wine.  Oh, the joys of parenting!

No comments: