Thursday, April 23, 2009

Donor Family Gathering

This morning I received a voice mail from my dear friend Sherry inviting me to attend the 2009 Donor Family Gathering this Sunday as a guest of her late son, Chad Frazier. I attended this event a couple of years ago with Sherry and it was beautiful, moving and life changing - I became a registered organ donor!

You might be wondering what is a Donor Family Gathering:
"The Donor Family Gathering is an opportunity for families to celebrate their loved one's life as well as to see firsthand how organ and tissue donation truly makes a difference to so many. Each spring the Washington Regional Transplant Community (WRTC) dedicates a day to honor and remember those individuals who have given or desired to give the ultimate gift… The Gift of Life. The Gathering of donor families, recipients and transplant professionals has grown over the years to more than 600 people in attendance. The nondenominational service includes music, a message from a donor family and words of thanksgiving from both tissue and organ recipients. Highlights of the service are a pictorial tribute to our donors as well as a candle lighting memorial and quilt dedication. Immediately following the service a reception is held, giving recipients an opportunity to personally thank donor families for their unselfish gifts and allowing donor families to meet other donor families in mutual support. During the Gathering, families also have an opportunity to pin a square to be included on a future quilt. All donor families are invited to create a square as a memorial to their loved one. The quilts are shown throughout our service area and are a very personal and visual way to educate our community about the importance of organ and tissue donation."

Chad's square is included in Quilt #10.

If you would like to sign up to be an organ donor and give the ultimate gift… The Gift of Life please see the below link:
http://www.beadonor.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=886&Itemid=171

I am so honored that Sherry has asked me to go again this year! I would not miss it for the world! Stay tuned for pictures of Sunday.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This is wonderful. I've always been an organ donor - I think it's so important! Good for you - hope you have a good time at the gathering!